Dealing with the Impact of Trauma and PTSD
with Leading UK Trauma Experts Dr. Tom Barber and Dr. Sandra Westland
The experience of trauma is very much present in our lives, and the effects of trauma reach far and wide. This leaves traces on our minds and emotions, on our ability to experience joy and intimacy, and even our biology and immune system.
With the continual in-depth studying of trauma through neuroscience, developmental psychopathology, and neuropsychology, it has been possible to identify just how trauma produces physiological, psychological and emotional changes.
These are the changes that lead to reactions and actions such as drug taking, eating disorders, severe anxiety and depression, numbness, dissociation, self-harm, hyper-vigilance, and a general lacking of meaning in life.
There are 3 ways of helping:
2. Top down – From our psychology through working with the traumatic memory and the collapse of all that we know.
3. Bottom up – From our physiology through working with the body’s visceral contradictions locked within.
How This Online Program Will Help
This online program, with over 4.5 hours of video instruction, will show you a combination of top down and bottom up methods of helping someone stuck in trauma. It will give you the tools to help people regain control over their past trauma, and transform their physical and mental struggles back to self-mastery.
You will experience a range of ways of working, each able to produce profound changes in someone depending on the particular problem, and the makeup of the individual person.
Here’s What You Will Learn
- An understanding as to what happens psychologically, physiologically, and emotionally in trauma and PTSD, and the process of healing.
- Insight into when and why trauma can move into a PTSD diagnosis.
- Clarity on the difference between PTSD and Complex-PTSD (cPTSD).
- Techniques that help calm the overactive brain functioning and anxiety symptoms.
- Methods to manage flashbacks and to lessen their occurrences.
- Knowledge in how to help someone begin to talk about a trauma experience, and foster the beginning of true healing.
- The most supportive things to say and what not to say to someone who is traumatised.
- What treatments are available, and which one are the most appropriate for each individual.
You will learn practical techniques and strategies that you can use straight away for yourself or in your work, and which will facilitate immediate benefits for the people you are helping with trauma and PTSD.
"The best trauma training I have ever been on!"
Sharon, London Workshop attendee
This Online Course Is For You If …
- You are suffering from the effects of trauma and/or PTSD.
- You work with people in trauma and PTSD (including Complex PTSD) and you want some new ideas on how to be more effective.
- As a therapist you are looking for different ways of working therapeutically with trauma.
- Someone you know is struggling with a trauma and feels helpless.
- You want to understand further how trauma impacts people’s lives and what can make a difference to their recovery.
This Online Program Is Delivered By Dr Sandra Westland and Dr Tom Barber
, both highly experienced practitioners in working with trauma using the latest psychological approaches.
The methods you will learn are based on scientific and psychological research. Sandra and Tom bring a combined experience of 40 years of psychotherapeutic client work, research, and teaching to the training course.
Sandra has experienced and recovered from PTSD herself, and has many years of experience working with paramedics, ambulance technicians and crisis teams. She has found first hand, in her research on women and problematic weight, that trauma has a bearing on weight, food and body issues.
Tom has spent many years researching the impact of anger and emotion, both prevalent in traumatic events and experiences. He is one of the leading authorities on the experience of anger, particularly in men. His previous military service has provided him with a unique insight into the effects and treatment of trauma from conflict scenarios.
"Such a brilliant workshop. Highly professional, well paced and managed. I learnt so much and grew hugely. Life changing and inspiring. Thank you!"
Belinda, London Workshop attendee
Included in this 8-part video course, which includes full PowerPoint slide presentations and course handouts, which equates to 6.5 hours of CPD - Continuing Professional Development ...
Full Presentation Slides and Supplementary Course Notes
- Safety when working with Trauma.
- Staying present in the work.
- Psychoeducational based treatments.
- What is Trauma?
- Single Blow Vs Repeated Trauma.
- Human Made Vs Natural Trauma.
- Horowitz (1979) and the 5 Phases of Adjustment to Trauma.
- Resilience and Evolvement.
- Existential Challenges arising from Trauma.
- Trauma Responses.
Trauma and PTSD definitions and Symptoms, the Brain and Memory, and Survival Strategies and Methods.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- PTSD Definition.
- Complex PTSD: Symptoms.
- Trauma and the Brain.
- Emotional Brain: Reptilian and Limbic System.
- What Happens in Trauma: Physiologically.
- What Happens in Trauma: Psychologically.
- Traumatic memory: Unique, fragmented and unintegrated memory.
- Basic trauma survival strategies.
- Recovery methods and strategies.
- Current Treatments.
- Complex PTSD Treatments.
- Recovery, Healing and Growth.
Healing, Neurobiology, the Stages of Recovery, and How to find Calm.
- The Essentials for Healing: The neurobiological regulator.
- Stages to Recovery and Healing.
- Restoring Balance and Finding a Voice.
- Calming Trauma Effects Down in General.
Video 4 & 5:
Dealing with Trauma Triggers, Getting Connected to Psychological 'Parts', Managing Flashbacks, State Changing for Children, NLP Rewinding for Trauma.
- Calming Things When Traumatic Triggers Occur.
- Parts Work: Self-talk and soothing the personality parts that have been triggered.
- Managing Emotional Flashbacks.
- Managing flashbacks with Children.
- NLP: State Changing.
- NLP: Rewinding and separating the stored emotional impact of trauma.
- Full demonstration session of the 'Rewind Theatre Screen' technique.
EFT Tapping for Trauma and PTSD, Calming Children in Trauma, Inner Awareness Training, Story-telling, and Meeting the Inner Child.
- Emotional Freedom Technique: Tapping to clear trauma energy.
- Working with Children: Helping them to become calm.
- Increasing Inner Awareness and finding a voice.
- Increasing Awareness of Inner Experiences.
- Re-configuring the mind: Telling the ‘True Story’ and the true present experiences.
- What helps process Trauma? Mindfulness based methods.
- Meeting and Hearing Your Inner Child.
Video 7 & 8:
Inner Personality Parts work for Trauma resolution, Internal Family Systems Trauma Release, Psychomotor Therapy and the Mind-Body Narrative.
- Internal Family Systems and trauma resolution.
- The function of personality parts.
- Full demonstration session of the 'Parts Therapy' technique, for working with personalty parts.
- Further therapeutic dissociative techniques.
- Psychomotor Therapy: Moving into a sensory motor experience.
- The mind-body integrative narrative.
"Excellent in-depth teaching to a whole new level." - Sharon, London Workshop attendee
You will have
lifetime access to over 4.5 hours of video instruction, presentation slides, and course handouts
in this course, and as the sessions are also contained on our servers you will not need to download any files, or have any space taken up by DVDs.
You can take as much time as you want to study each approach and technique in your own time through your Personal Online Member’s portal on either your computer, tablet or phone (all platforms included such as iPhone and Android, etc.)
You also have a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you are not completely satisfied with the program once you have completed it, then you can get your money back, no questions asked.
To get started click the BEGIN YOUR COURSE button at the top or bottom of this page.